- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Japanese Food :California Rolls Recipe Video
|Seaweed sheets||4 , dried (for Kimbap or Sushi)|
|Crab sticks||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (or 5 pieces)|
|Mayonnaise||4 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Cucumber||1 Large, seedless|
|Sesame seeds||8 Teaspoon|
|Bamboo mat||1 Medium|
|Ingredients for the rice|
|Short grain rice/Or sushi rice||4 Cup (64 tbs), cooked|
|Brown rice vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
|Ingredients for the dipping sauce|
|Soy sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Pickled ginger||2 Tablespoon|
Calories 457 Calories from Fat 125
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14 g22.1%
Saturated Fat 1.6 g8.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 6 mg
Sodium 407.9 mg17%
Total Carbohydrates 73 g24.3%
Dietary Fiber 5.3 g21.1%
Sugars 3.3 g
Protein 9 g17.4%
Vitamin A 1.6% Vitamin C 8.8%
Calcium 8.7% Iron 27.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. On a chopping board, cut the seedless cucumber into ¼-inch strips that are cut to the length of the dried seaweed wrapper. Slice it 8 strips. Place these slices on a plate and sprinkle salt on them and set it aside.
2. In a bowl, shred the crab sticks and cut them into 1-inch lengths.
3. In a mixing bowl, mix the shredded crab with mayonnaise. Adjust the amount of mayonnaise as desired.
4 .Cut the avocado in half and remove the seed. Divide the halves into two and peel the skin. Slice each quarter of the avocado into 4 pieces, transfer them on a plate and cover the slices with a plastic wrap. Keep aside.
5. In a bowl, combine the brown rice vinegar, sugar, salt and mix well until the sugar and salt dissolve.
6. In a large bowl, add 4 cups of cooked short grain (or sushi) rice, pour the vinegar mixture into the rice and mix gently.
7. Wrap a bamboo mat with a piece of plastic wrap, in order to avoid the rice from sticking to the bamboo mat.
8. Take 4 sheets of the dried seaweed for the kimbap or sushi. Cut them in half with scissors. To make the sushi, place one piece of the dried seaweed on top of the bamboo mat. Spread ½ cup of the cooked rice evenly on it and sprinkle about 1 tsp of sesame seeds on the rice.
9. Flip the seaweed and rice over so that the rice will be on the bottom. Place 1 piece of the cucumber, crab stick mixture, and 2 pieces of the avocado on top of the seaweed in a line.
10. Start rolling with the bamboo mat, being careful to remove the mat as you roll.
11. Slice the roll into eight pieces.
12. Serve the kimbap or sushi rolls with soy sauce, wasabi or pickled ginger or garlic.
If the cucumber is not a seedless one, then remove the seeds and slice it.
To remove the seed from the avocado, tap the seed with your knife and twist the knife – the seed will pop out easily.
You will get 16 slices total from 1 whole avocado on slicing it.
Wrapping the bamboo mat with a piece of plastic wrap, avoids the rice from sticking to the bamboo mat. This helps making the roll nicely and it also helps with the cleanup.
It might be easier to divide the crab mixture ahead of time into eight divisions.
Instead of using a crab meat mixture, some people simply cut the crab stick into ¼-inch strips and squeeze some mayonnaise on top.