- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Jamaican Jerk Shrimp Recipe Video
|Us shrimp||1 Pound, tails left on but peeled and deveined|
|For the marinade sauce:|
|Pink sea salt||2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic cloves||2 Medium|
|Scallion||8 Medium, with tops|
|Habanera pepper/Habanera sauce||1⁄2|
|Black peppercorns||1 Teaspoon|
|Cardamom seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dry thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|For the salsa:|
|Red carribean papaya||1 Large|
|Red onion||1 Medium|
|Cinnamon powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Cilantro||1 Medium, in a bunch, divided (for the marinade sauce and salsa)|
|Lime||2 Medium, juice and zest, divided (for the marinade sauce and salsa)|
|Pink salt||4 Teaspoon, divided (for the marinade sauce and salsa)|
|Ginger||1 Large, knob, divided (for the marinade sauce and salsa)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon, divided (for the marinade sauce and salsa)|
Calories 624 Calories from Fat 177
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g30.8%
Saturated Fat 3.1 g15.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 344.7 mg
Sodium 8898.6 mg370.8%
Total Carbohydrates 64 g21.2%
Dietary Fiber 12 g47.8%
Sugars 28.6 g
Protein 51 g102.9%
Vitamin A 111.2% Vitamin C 453.9%
Calcium 32.5% Iron 51%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Prepare an outdoor grill to high heat.
To prepare the marinade mixture:
2. In a mortar pestle separately crush green cardamom seeds, salt, allspice, black pepper, cloves and dry thyme and add into a mixing bowl.
3. Then, with the pestle, separately crush ginger knob chunks, skinned garlic cloves, shallot chunks, scallion chunks and de-seeded half habanera in the mortar.
4. To the mixing bowl add and stir grated zest and squeezed juice from 1 whole lime and a little olive oil.
5. Add the shrimp to the marinade mixture, toss to mix well and let it marinade for about 20 minutes or until the salsa is made.
To prepare the salsa:
6. Slice and dice papaya after de-seeding and peeling and add into a mixing bowl.
7. Then mix in chopped red onions, chopped cilantro, zest and juice of lime, cinnamon powder, sea salt and grated fresh ginger followed by mixing in a little olive oil.
To cook the shrimp:
8. On a preheated grill, grill either directly or after piercing them onto skewers for about 2-3 minutes each side until done.
9. On a serving plate or a cocktail glass spread the salsa, then the shrimp and serve.