- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Jamaica Spiced Black Fruit Cake Recipe
|Dried currants||3 1⁄4 Cup (52 tbs)|
|Seedless raisins||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|Seeded raisins||2 Cup (32 tbs), chopped|
|Citron||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs), sliced|
|Dried figs||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), chopped|
|Dried prunes||1 Cup (16 tbs), cooked, drained, pitted, and chopped|
|Blanched almonds||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), toasted and sliced|
|Pitted dried dates||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Glazed cherries||1 Cup (16 tbs), sliced|
|Glazed orange peel||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Dark jamaica rum||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Butter||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dark brown sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs), firmly packed|
|Cinnamon||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs), sifted|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
Calories 3266 Calories from Fat 710
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 82 g126.2%
Saturated Fat 33.3 g166.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 385.3 mg
Sodium 646.1 mg26.9%
Total Carbohydrates 538 g179.2%
Dietary Fiber 34.8 g139.3%
Sugars 394.7 g
Protein 40 g81%
Vitamin A 43.2% Vitamin C 29.3%
Calcium 69.3% Iron 86%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Preheat oven to slow (275° F.).
3. Soften the butter in a large mixing bowl and gradually blend in the sugar and spices. Beat in two of the eggs.
4. Sift the flour with the baking powder and salt and add one cup to the butter-sugar mixture. Beat in the remaining eggs, stir in the rum-soaked fruit, undrained, and add the remaining flour. Mix well.
5. Line two greased 9 by 5 by 3-inch bread pans with brown or waxed paper and grease the paper lightly. Divide the batter equally between the two pans. Place a large shallow pan of hot water beneath the cake pans in the oven to prevent the cake from drying. Bake the cake until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, or two and one-half hours.
6. Cool in the bread pans one hour. Remove to a wire cooling rack, remove the paper and let rest until cold. Wrap in aluminum foil and store in a tightly closed tin box. Moisten occasionally with Jamaican rum. Age at least one month before serving and serve, if desired, with brandied foamy sauce.