- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Jalebi - Instant vs Traditional Recipe Video
|Maida||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Corn starch||1 Tablespoon|
|Turmeric powder||2 Pinch|
|Yogurt||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Rapid rise yeast||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs) (for sugar syrup)|
|Water||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (for sugar syrup)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1222 Calories from Fat 73
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g12.9%
Saturated Fat 4.9 g24.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 29.4 mg
Sodium 506.1 mg21.1%
Total Carbohydrates 277 g92.2%
Dietary Fiber 3.2 g12.9%
Sugars 210.6 g
Protein 17 g33%
Vitamin A 4.6% Vitamin C 4.3%
Calcium 66% Iron 28.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
To make regular traditional batter :
1. In a bowl mix 1 cup maida, 1 tablespoon cornstarch and 1 pinch turmeric powder and mix with yogurt.
2. Add water and mix to get a lump free batter.
3. Cover and allow it to ferment for 2 -24 hours.
4. Add the saffron powder baking powder and oil and mix well.
To make instant batter:
5. Heat water to lukewarm temperature in the microwave.
6. Add and mix 1 tsp sugar and add rapid rise yeast and leave it aside to rise.
7. In a bowl add 1/2 cup maida and 1/2 tbsp corn starch and a pinch turmeric powder.
8. Crush saffron into powder and mix into the maida.
9. Add 1 tbsp yogurt and add yeast mixture
10. Cover it and let it rise for about 15-20 minutes.
11. Add little oil and water and mix to get smooth consistency.
To make sugar syrup:
12. Mix sugar and water in a heavy bottomed pan and simmer till 1 thread consistency is attained.
13. Bring down the temperature of the sugar syrup once the consistency is attained.
14. Squeeze lime juice to prevent crystallization and mix saffron, rose syrup and cardamom powder.
To make jalebis :
15. Make a small-needle sized hole in a ziplock bag and fill with the jalebi mixture.
16. Alternately fill a squeezing bottle with the mixture.
17. Heat oil in a deep fry pan and squeeze the jalebis.
18. Immerse in the sugar syrup for about 20 seconds and remove.
19. Serve over special occasions or Diwali and Holi.