- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Italian Tomato Sauce Recipe
|Canned italian tomatoes||35 Ounce (1 Can Of 2 Pound And 3 Ounces)|
|Salad oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), finely chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Canned tomato paste||6 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Cold water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Dried oregano leaves||1 Teaspoon|
|Dried basil leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1085 Calories from Fat 531
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 60 g92.8%
Saturated Fat 3.4 g16.8%
Trans Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 7325.7 mg305.2%
Total Carbohydrates 136 g45.4%
Dietary Fiber 31.9 g127.7%
Sugars 37.9 g
Protein 27 g53.4%
Vitamin A 206.2% Vitamin C 248.5%
Calcium 59.4% Iron 121.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In an electric blender, puree undrained Italian tomatoes.
2. In a large saucepan, heat oil and saute onion and garlic for about 5 minutes until golden brown.
3. Pour in the pureed tomato, tomato paste, water, the parsley sprigs, salt, sugar, oregano, basil and pepper; stir well to mix.
4. Bring the sauce to a boil and then reduce the heat.
5. Cover and simmer for 1 hour with occasional stirring.
6. Let the sauce cool slightly at room temperature and then refrigerate until completely cooled.
7. Store the sauce in a sturdy leakproof container leaving ½ to ¾ inch head space.
8. Label the container and freeze until use.
9. Thaw sauce over very low heat with occasional stirring.
10. Bring the sauce to boil and then remove from heat.
11. Use for making pasta or pizza or any of your favourite dish.