- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Braciola di Vitello with Orecchiette - Stuffed Veal Rolls in Tomato Sauce Over Orecchiette Pasta Recipe Video
|Veal cutlet||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Ricotta salata cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), finely chopped|
|Italian parsley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), finely chopped|
|Oregano||1 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|Red pepper flake||1 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1⁄2 Medium, finely chopped|
|Olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (for pan)|
|Orecchiette pasta||1 Pound (1 package)|
|Whole peeled tomato||2 Can (20 oz) (Nina or diNapoli brand suggested)|
|Tomato paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Red wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
Calories 884 Calories from Fat 374
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 43 g66.4%
Saturated Fat 14.4 g71.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 68.2 mg
Sodium 1306 mg54.4%
Total Carbohydrates 89 g29.6%
Dietary Fiber 9.1 g36.3%
Sugars 8.2 g
Protein 33 g66.3%
Vitamin A 41.1% Vitamin C 32.1%
Calcium 17.7% Iron 16.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Cut each piece of veal in pieces approx. 2 inches in width and pound until thin(approx. 1/8 inch thick).
2. Finely chop and combine garlic, onion, and fresh herbs.
3. Place a teaspoon of the combined garlic, onion and herb mixture in the middle of each piece of veal, add a pinch of red pepper flakes and a teaspoon of cheese.
4. Gently roll veal, starting at furthest edge and wrap meat around stuffing.
5. Tie the veal roll with string (sewing thread) – Secure stuffing inside roll.
6. Brown (braise) the stuffed veal rolls in a large sauce pan coated in oil.
7. Cook rolls until browned on all sides.
8. When outside is no longer pink, remove veal from pan while you make sauce.
9. Using same pan with juices from veal, add chopped onion, garlic and herbs, sauté until golden.
10. Using your fingers or a large spoon to mash the whole peeled tomatoes (be sure that any yellow or tough ends of tomatoes are removed).
11. Add mashed tomatoes and their sauce to pan.
12. Cook mixture over medium heat - simmering for 10-15 minutes.
13. Add wine and tomato paste slowly while stirring – bring back to simmer.
14. Add veal rolls to sauce and continue to simmer over low heat for 2 hours.
15. Boil the pasta until cooked al dente – approx 12-15 minutes.
16. Drain water from pasta and return pasta to hot saucepan – toss gently with a tablespoon olive oil.
17. Place a cup of cooked Orecchiette in middle of plate, sprinkle pasta with a layer of shredded cheese, pour sauce over pasta, put several veal rolls on top of sauce and sprinkle with more cheese. Enjoy!
For more recipes please visit The Brown Lounge Website