- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Italian Minestrone Recipe
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped for about 1 cup|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), minced for about 4 teaspoons|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Chicken broth/Vegetable stock /canned reduced-sodium chicken broth||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Vegetable stock/Chicken broth / canned reduced-sodium chicken broth||8 Cup (128 tbs), canned|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Frozen lima beans||1 Cup (16 tbs), Defrosted|
|Dried oregano||1 Teaspoon (To Taste)|
|Dried rosemary||1 Teaspoon (To Taste)|
|Canned italian plum tomatoes||14 Ounce, chopped, juice reserved (1 Can)|
|Tomato paste||2 Tablespoon|
|Boiling potatoes||1⁄2 Pound, scrubbed and cut into 1/4-inch pieces|
|Macaroni shells||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Carrots||3 Medium, chopped for about 1 1/4 cups|
|Celery stalks||3 , chopped for about 1 cup|
|Leek||1 Medium, chopped for about 1/2 cup, rinsed well, and patted dry|
|Zucchini||1 Small, cut into 1/4-inch pieces|
|Frozen peas||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Fresh Or Defrosted)|
|Chopped fresh parsley/Chopped fresh basil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Freshly grated parmesan cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Optional)|
Calories 450 Calories from Fat 119
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14 g20.8%
Saturated Fat 4.1 g20.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 13.7 mg
Sodium 2782.6 mg115.9%
Total Carbohydrates 65 g21.6%
Dietary Fiber 13.7 g54.7%
Sugars 15.6 g
Protein 19 g37.6%
Vitamin A 212.5% Vitamin C 121.3%
Calcium 34.3% Iron 30.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a large kettle heat oil, cook onion and garlic over low heat for 10 minutes.
2) Stir in broth, the water, the lima beans, and the spices.
3) Boil the mixture and simmer it for 20 minutes.
4) Add tomatoes with juice, tomato paste, potatoes, macaroni, carrots and celery, and simmer for 10 minutes.
5) Put leek, zucchini, and peas, simmer for 5 minutes or till tender.
6) Add salt and pepper to taste.
7) Stir in parsley or basil, if using.
8) Serve sprinkled with 2 teaspoons of Parmesan.