- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Irish Whole Wheat Soda Bread Recipe
|Whole wheat flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Granulated sugar||1 Teaspoon|
|Buttermilk/Sour milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
Calories 501 Calories from Fat 26
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3 g4.6%
Saturated Fat 0.36 g1.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1029.3 mg42.9%
Total Carbohydrates 102 g33.9%
Dietary Fiber 12.7 g51%
Sugars 1.7 g
Protein 21 g42.2%
Vitamin A 0.2% Vitamin C
Calcium 22.2% Iron 30.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2) In a large mixing bowl sift together whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar and salt.
3) Gently add buttermilk and mix thoroughly.
4) Make a soft dough and knead lightly on a floured board for 2 to 3 minutes.
5) Shape into a round loaf.
6) Lightly oil cookie sheet and place the bread on it.
7) Using a sharp knife, cut a cross on the top of the loaf.
8) Place in oven and bake for 45 minutes till loaf is browned and sounds hollow when tapped.
9) Place on wire rack to cool.
10) Cut into thin slices to serve.