- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Irish Stew Marcel Recipe
|Boneless lamb shoulder||3 Pound, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes|
|Boiling water||2 Quart|
|Chicken bouillon||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Carrots||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), scraped and cut into 1/2-inch cubes|
|Turnips||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), scraped and cut into 1/2-inch cubes|
|Onion||1 , sliced|
|Cold water||2 Tablespoon|
|Strained lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3930 Calories from Fat 2622
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 291 g447.2%
Saturated Fat 126.2 g630.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 980.7 mg
Sodium 3643.9 mg151.8%
Total Carbohydrates 69 g22.9%
Dietary Fiber 5.9 g23.5%
Sugars 19.1 g
Protein 243 g486.9%
Vitamin A 215.4% Vitamin C 48.3%
Calcium 34.5% Iron 130.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a kettle, place the lamb cubes with the boiling water. Gently simmer for about 15 minutes.
2) Throw the water away.
3) In a slow cooker, put the bouillon, carrots, onion, turnips, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Add the blanched lamb.
4) Cover the cooker and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours.
5) A while before serving time, measure out about ½ cup of the cooking liquid. Let it cool.
6) Mix together the cornstarch and cold water and combine this mixture with the cooled cooking liquid.
7) To the mixture, add the lemon juice. Pour the mixture back into the slow cooker.
8) Increase the heat to HIGH and cook the sauce for about 10 to 15 minutes. In case the sauce appears to be too thin, uncover the cooker and then cook.
9) Transfer the stew to a serving bowl and serve while still piping hot. Makes a delectable main course dish and goes well with baked bread or hot, cooked rice.