- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Irish Stew Recipe
|Lean lamb||2 Pound, cut into 1-inch cubes|
|All purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter/Corn oil margarine||4 Teaspoon|
|Onion||1 , finely chopped|
|Fresh mushrooms||1⁄2 Pound, sliced to make 2 cups|
|Fresh mushrooms||1⁄2 Pound, sliced (2 Cups)|
|Parsley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), finely chopped|
|Garlic buds||2 , minced|
|Dried thyme||1 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Dried summer savory||1 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Dry red wine||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Turnips||2 , diced|
|Boiling onions||16 Small|
|Shelled peas||2 Cup (32 tbs) (2 Pounds When Unshelled)|
Calories 436 Calories from Fat 48
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g8.3%
Saturated Fat 2.7 g13.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 5.4 mg
Sodium 34.8 mg1.4%
Total Carbohydrates 40 g13.2%
Dietary Fiber 6.6 g26.4%
Sugars 11.3 g
Protein 45 g89.6%
Vitamin A 14.6% Vitamin C 49.2%
Calcium 6.7% Iron 16.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a paper bag, put the cubed lamb and flour.
2) Shake well to coat the meat with the flour.
3) In a large heavy skillet or soup kettle, melt the butter or margarine.
4) To the hot oil, add the chopped onion and mushrooms.
5) Saute until the ingredients are tender. Remove from the pan and keep aside. Keep the pan as is; do not wash.
6) To the hot pan, add the lamb and cook till dark brown.
7) To the same pan, add the onion-mushroom mixture.
8) Gradually add the parsley, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, summer savory, pepper, 1 cup of water and 1 cup of wine.
9) Cover and simmer this mixture for 1 hour.
10) To this, add the remaining cup of water and wine. Simmer for 30 minutes more.
11) To this, add the turnips and boiling onions.
12) Continue to simmer for 1 hour more.
13) Almost 10 minutes before serving, to the pan, add the shelled peas.
14) Cook until the peas are just tender.
15) For a festive feel, serve fresh with mashed potatoes and buttermilk bread.