- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Irish Soda Bread or Blarney Bread Recipe
|All-purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Low sodium baking powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Potassium bicarbonate||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Unsalted butter||4 Tablespoon, chilled|
|Low sodium low fat milk||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Fresh lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
|Egg||1 , lightly beaten|
|Raisins||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Caraway seeds||2 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1 Tablespoon (Low Sodium)|
|Low sodium milk||1 Tablespoon (for glazing)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2868 Calories from Fat 602
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 68 g105.4%
Saturated Fat 36.7 g183.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 555 mg
Sodium 1470.9 mg61.3%
Total Carbohydrates 495 g164.9%
Dietary Fiber 21 g84.1%
Sugars 70.4 g
Protein 76 g151.9%
Vitamin A 41.1% Vitamin C 14.6%
Calcium 204.5% Iron 173.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
2) In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, potassium bicarbonate and fructose. Mix well.
3) To this, add the butter or margarine.
4) Using a pastry blender, blend the mixture until it is as consistent as coarse cornmeal. Keep aside.
5) In a bowl, combine milk and lemon juice.
6) With the egg mixture, combine this and mix again.
7) To the butter-flour mixture, add the liquid ingredients. Mix well.
8) To this, mix in the raisins and caraway seeds.
9) To a floured board, transfer the dough.
10) Knead for 2 or 3 minutes or until the dough turns smooth and elastic.
11) On a greased and floured 8-inch round pan, place the dough.
12) Press it down to fill the entire pan.
13) Now, in the top of the bread, cut a deep crease. This way, the sides will not crack during baking.
14) With milk, brush the top lightly.
15) Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the bread turns light golden brown.
16) Remove the bread from the oven. Let it cool for 5 minutes.
17) Turn out of the pan to a rack and let cool to room temperature. It is easy to slice when the loaf is cool.
18) Slice and serve as desired.
To serve the bread hot, slice it, butter it if desired, wrap it in foil and then reheat in the oven.