- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Traditional Irish Soda Bread Recipe
|All purpose flour||3 Cup (48 tbs), sifted|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Margarine||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Buttermilk||1 1⁄3 Cup (21.33 tbs)|
|Currants||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2234 Calories from Fat 565
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 64 g98.5%
Saturated Fat 10.9 g54.4%
Trans Fat 4.2 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 3502.6 mg145.9%
Total Carbohydrates 357 g119%
Dietary Fiber 11.7 g47%
Sugars 53.7 g
Protein 52 g103%
Vitamin A 52% Vitamin C 25.6%
Calcium 25.6% Iron 100.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to 350Â°F.
2) Into a mixing bowl, sift together the first 6 ingredients.
3) Cut in the margarine with a pastry blender until mixture resembles cornmeal.
4) Add buttermilk and stir until moistened.
5) Now, add currants.
6) Shape into a ball and knead for about 15 seconds.
7) On a lightly greased cookie sheet, place the dough.
8) With your hand, flatten the dough into a circle (about 7 inches in diameter and 1 1/2 inches thick).
9) With a sharp knife, cut a cross on top, about 1/4 inch deep and 5 inches long, to prevent cracking during baking.
10) Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes.
11) Cool on a wire rack. Slice and serve as required.