- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Healthy Irish Soda Bread Recipe
|Wholemeal flour||1 Pound (plus extra for sifting)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Soda bicarbonate||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Ounce (15 gram)|
|Cream of tartar||2 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Barbados sugar||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Milk||1⁄2 Pint (300 milliliter)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1810 Calories from Fat 242
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 28 g42.7%
Saturated Fat 13.2 g66.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 54.5 mg
Sodium 2106.9 mg87.8%
Total Carbohydrates 349 g116.2%
Dietary Fiber 55.3 g221.4%
Sugars 17.5 g
Protein 70 g140%
Vitamin A 12.8% Vitamin C
Calcium 43% Iron 99.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Dissolve the cream of tartar and sugar into the milk and use this to bind the flour together, adding a little more milk if necessary.
3. Knead the dough on a lightly floured work surface until it is firm and smooth and there are no cracks.
4. Flatten out the dough to a round about 18 cm (7 inches) in diameter and place it on the prepared plate or tray.
5. Brush the surface of the dough with a little milk and mark a deep cross on the top with a knife. Sift a little flour on top.
6. Microwave on HIGH for 9 minutes, giving the dish a quarter turn three times during the cooking time, until the bread is well risen and dry on top, then turn it over and microwave on HIGH for 1-1 1/2 minutes or until the surface looks cooked. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then serve warm.