- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Irish Oatmeal Bread Recipe
|Active dry yeast||1 Tablespoon|
|Warm water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (105°-115°F)|
|Whole wheat flour||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs) (Measured Scoop And Level)|
|Non fat milk powder||3 Tablespoon (Non Instant)|
|Rolled oats||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Water||4 Tablespoon (As Needed)|
|Raisins/Currants||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Egg||1 , beaten (For Glaze)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (For Glaze)|
Calories 550 Calories from Fat 84
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g14.8%
Saturated Fat 1.8 g8.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 108.3 mg36.1%
Sodium 342.9 mg14.3%
Total Carbohydrates 100 g33.3%
Dietary Fiber 13 g52%
Sugars 25.6 g
Protein 23 g45.2%
Vitamin A 2.6% Vitamin C 1.8%
Calcium 19.2% Iron 29.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Use a measuring cup to sprinkle yeast over 1/2 cup warm water.
2) Let stand in a warm place about 5 minutes until it dissolves or puffs.
3) Stir in oil, honey and 1 egg.
4) In your food processor, use the METAL BLADE setting.
5) In the work bowl, add flour, milk powder and salt. Pulse on/off to mix.
6) Pour in yeast mixture through the feed tube while machine is running.
7) Stop the machine to add rolled oats when all the liquid has been added.
8) Start the machine to continue the process to form a dough ball. Add additional water, if required.
9) Process the dough ball for 20 seconds and test the consistency for right elasticity, stickiness and wetness, by stopping the machine.
10) If it is not ready, then process for another 10 seconds.
11) Sprinkle with additional 1-2 tablespoons flour into the dough and pulse machine on/off to coat dough for easy removal from work bowl.
12) In an oiled bowl transfer the dough and turn over to oil the entire surface.
13) Cover with plastic bag or damp cloth and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
14) Punch down dough and knead for 30 seconds to press out the dough.
15) Make a ball out of the dough and let rest by covering for 5 minutes.
16) Shape the dough in a high-rounded loaf, about 6 1/2 inches across.
17) Use a well-greased cookie sheet, to place the loaf.
18) Cover and let rise in warm place, free from drafts, until doubled, about 45 minutes.
19) Preheat oven to 350Â°.
20) Brush with egg glaze on the top surface of the loaf.
21) Place the loaf pan inside oven on middle rack to bake for 35-45 minutes or until golden brown and loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
22) Immediately transfer on metal rack to cool down.
23) Slice the bread and serve with your choice of dip or spread.