- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Irish Brown Soda Bread Recipe
|Whole wheat flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), sifted|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Margarine||1 Tablespoon (Soft)|
|Buttermilk||1 2⁄3 Cup (26.67 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2337 Calories from Fat 209
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 24 g36.9%
Saturated Fat 3.7 g18.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 3333.4 mg138.9%
Total Carbohydrates 458 g152.8%
Dietary Fiber 52.6 g210.6%
Sugars 17.1 g
Protein 88 g175.9%
Vitamin A 11.4% Vitamin C 0.03%
Calcium 16.3% Iron 132.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to 425Â°F.
2) Into a large mixing bowl, add the whole wheat flour.
3) Sift together the all purpose flour, salt, baking soda and sugar, and then mix into the whole wheat flour.
4) Add the margarine to this.
5) Gradually add buttermilk until the dough is soft but not sticky.
6) Form the dough into a ball, and knead in the bowl for 15 to 20 seconds.
7) Place the dough on a lightly greased baking sheet.
8) Flatten the dough with your hand into a circle, about 1 1/2 inches thick. Cut a cross on the top to prevent cracking during baking.
9) Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350Â°F and bake for 15 minutes longer.
10) Cool on a wire rack. Then seal tightly in a plastic bag. Serve as required.