- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Irish Beef With Dumplings Recipe
|Streaky bacon rashers||2|
|Lard/Dripping||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Lean beef/Flank/skirt/chuck/brisket||2 Pound, cut into large chunks (1 Kilogram)|
|Onions||8 Ounce, chopped (200 Gram)|
|Carrots||200 Gram, scraped|
|Guinness||1⁄4 Pint (125 Milliliter)|
|Beef stock/Stock made with a stock cube||3⁄4 Pint, made (375 Milliliter)|
|Self raising flour||4 Ounce (100 Gram)|
|Shredded suet||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
Calories 710 Calories from Fat 324
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 36 g55.4%
Saturated Fat 16 g80%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 102 mg
Sodium 1048.5 mg43.7%
Total Carbohydrates 35 g11.6%
Dietary Fiber 3.1 g12.6%
Sugars 6.4 g
Protein 57 g114.2%
Vitamin A 167.1% Vitamin C 11.9%
Calcium 19.6% Iron 30.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Take dripping in a wok and fry bacon till golden brown.
2) Shift the content to a large saucepan.
3) Fry the meat in the remaining fat in frying pan. Shift the contents to the saucepan.
4) Cover the top of the meat with vegetables. To it add salt, Guinness, pepper and stock.
5) Once it boils, cover the saucepan and simmer. Cook for 1 3/4 hours till the meat is almost tender.
6) For the dumplings, take a bowl, sift the flour and add seasoning to it.
7) Add suet and water to make soft dough.
8) Divide and make eight small balls. Add it gently to the saucepan.
9) Cover and cook on simmering heat for 15 to 20 minutes till the meat and dumplings are cooked.
10) Serve hot.
While cooking the dumplings keep the lid tight on the saucepan and do not lift it. The steam shouldn't escape out of the saucepan while the dumplings are cooking.
Transfer the stew into a large foil dish with the dumplings to store in fridge. Before serving, reheat in a moderate oven covering lightly with a piece of foil at 180°C, 350°F, Gas Mark 4, for 1 hour