- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Instant Rava Idlis - Mini Appetizer Idlis - South Indian Cuisine Recipe Video
|For the seasoning (tadka)|
|Mustard seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Urad dal||1 Tablespoon (Skinless split black gram)|
|Cashews||1 Tablespoon, broken|
|Curry leaves||8 Medium, torn|
|Semolina||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Coarse variety used)|
|For the idli batter|
|Yogurt||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (As needed to prepare the batter)|
|Turmeric powder||1 Pinch (Optional)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|To grease the idli molds|
|Oil||2 Teaspoon (As required for greasing)|
Calories 195 Calories from Fat 69
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g12.1%
Saturated Fat 1.7 g8.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 4.9 mg1.6%
Sodium 311.6 mg13%
Total Carbohydrates 25 g8.2%
Dietary Fiber 1.7 g7%
Sugars 2 g
Protein 6 g12.2%
Vitamin A 1.5% Vitamin C 0.42%
Calcium 6.9% Iron 3.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will Need1. Idli molds
1. Get the steamer ready by boiling water on a medium heat for steaming.
2. Lightly grease the idli molds with a little oil and set aside.
3. Heat a pan with oil on high heat, add mustard seeds, urad dal, broken cashew pieces and fresh curry leaves.
4. Reduce to a low heat, add semolina (sooji or rava) and roast for about a minute or so until it changes the color slightly.
5. Remove from the stove, add 1 cup of yogurt, salt and mix well.
6. Gradually add water a little at a time to reach and easy-to-pour consistency batter. At this point, if desired you can add a pinch of turmeric powder.
7. Finally add baking soda and mix well. (Baking soda is to be added just before pouring the batter into the mold for steaming). Stir well.
8. Pour the batter into the idli molds and insert them into the steamer and steam for about 12 to 15 minutes or till a inserted knife in the center of the idli comes out clear.
9. Serve with sambar and chutney or with a little ghee drizzled on top.
While roasting the semolina, shredded coconut, ginger or any vegetable of your choice may be added.
Add baking soda only when ready to steam the idlis. Do not add it ahead of time.