- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Instant Khatta Dhokla - Gujarati Idra Recipe Video
|Cooking spray||2 Dash (To grease the steamer tray)|
|Eno fruit salt||1 Teaspoon|
|Sesame seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Rice flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chick pea flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Semolina||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (Coarse semolina used)|
|Citric acid||1⁄4 Teaspoon (Nimbu phool)|
|Sugar||To Taste (Optional)|
|Yogurt||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Use as needed)|
|Green chili paste||1 Teaspoon (Use as per your taste)|
|Ginger paste||1 Teaspoon (Use as per your taste)|
|For the tempering|
|Mustard seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|For the garnish|
|Cilantro||2 Tablespoon, chopped finely|
|Red chili powder||To Taste|
Calories 151 Calories from Fat 66
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g11.5%
Saturated Fat 1.1 g5.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0.73 mg0.24%
Sodium 195.6 mg8.2%
Total Carbohydrates 18 g5.9%
Dietary Fiber 1.3 g5%
Sugars 0.7 g
Protein 3 g6.4%
Vitamin A 6.3% Vitamin C 1.7%
Calcium 2.9% Iron 3.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will Need1. A steamer
1. Prepare the steamer by filling the base with water and keeping it to boil at a medium temperature.
2. Grease the steamer tray with some cooking spray and set it aside.
3. In a mixing bowl, take the rice flour, chick pea flour and semolina.
4. To this add salt to your taste, citric acid (nimbu phool), sugar and mix all these dry ingredients well.
5. To the dry ingredients add the wet ingredients; yogurt, oil, ginger and green chili paste. Mix to combine all the ingredients well.
6. Gradually add water in small quantities at a time to prepare the batter. Stir well and vigorously to get a smooth lump free batter.
7. Add eno fruit salt and stir well.
8. Take the lightly greased tray/pan, pour the batter into it. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
9. Place the tray into the preheated steamer and steam the dhokla for about 20 minutes.
10. Meanwhile in a small pan heat up some oil for the tempering, add the mustard seeds, asafoetida and take off the heat.
11. After 20 minutes, check if the dhokla is done by inserting a knife in the middle; if the knife comes out clean it is done. Spread the oil and mustard seeds tempering over the top.
12. Serve the dhokla pieces sprinkled with freshly chopped cilantro and sprinkled with red chili powder.
If you use rice sooji instead of rice flour then reduce the quantity of semolina (rava).