- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Indian Steamed Rice and Lamb Recipe
|Lamb shanks||2 Pound|
|Yogurt||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cold water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Salt||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Long grained rice||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Uncooked)|
|Whole cardamoms||4 , cracked|
|Caraway seeds||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Lamb broth||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|White mushrooms||4 Ounce|
Calories 896 Calories from Fat 352
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 38 g59%
Saturated Fat 17.8 g88.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 171.8 mg
Sodium 2562.6 mg106.8%
Total Carbohydrates 80 g26.8%
Dietary Fiber 4.3 g17%
Sugars 1.8 g
Protein 52 g104.1%
Vitamin A 4.7% Vitamin C 5%
Calcium 8.4% Iron 28.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Trim off all excess fat from lamb shanks.
2) Combine this with yogurt and keep aside marinating for 30 minutes.
3) Add in half of cold water and 1 teaspoon salt and boil, covered for 3 hours.
4) Leave aside to cool; debone the shanks and separate all lean meat from them and keep aside.
5) Refrigerate the broth to chill.
6) Discard off the hardened fat from the chilled broth and keep the broth aside.
7) In remaining cold water, soak rice for 30 minutes and drain well.
8) Take a 4-quart saucepan and melt butter or margarine in it.
9) In cheese cloth bag, tie cardamoms and cloves and sauté in butter together with cinnamon, caraway seeds, and bay leaf for 2 minutes.
10) Stir in well-drained rice and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
11) Pour in lamb broth and water, remaining salt, meat trimmed from bones, and mushrooms.
12) Cover this and simmer for 15 minutes until rice is soft and stand apart.
13) Without stirring, pick out spice bag and let the spices loose.
14) Serve hot at once.