- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Indian Baigan Bharta Recipe Video
|Eggplant||1 Medium, roasted|
|Onions||1 Medium, chopped|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (As needed to cook the onions)|
|Diced tomatoes||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Canned diced tomatoes used)|
|Hot sauce||To Taste|
|Garam masala||1 Teaspoon|
|Frozen peas||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Canned peas used)|
Calories 168 Calories from Fat 13
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 2 g2.3%
Saturated Fat 0.21 g1.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 179 mg7.5%
Total Carbohydrates 35 g11.6%
Dietary Fiber 12 g48.2%
Sugars 14.2 g
Protein 8 g15.5%
Vitamin A 44.5% Vitamin C 58.8%
Calcium 9.5% Iron 13.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Roast an eggplant in a 400 F heated oven for about an hour until tender.
2. Once done, remove from the oven. Carefully take the skin off.
3. Using a masher, mash the roasted eggplant well.
4. Heat up a frying pan, saute onions with a little water (no oil used). As it dries up while caramelizing, add more water, as required.
5. Once onions turn golden brown, add the diced tomatoes, hot sauce, turmeric, garam masala and stir for a few minutes.
6. Finally add the peas and roasted and mashed eggplant. Stir for a couple of minutes and turn off the heat.
7. Serve warm with any Indian flatbread or rice.