- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Ilish Bhapa Recipe
|Hilsa pieces||6 , cut in steak size|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Lime juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Green chilli||2 , slit lengthwise|
|Mustard oil||3 Tablespoon|
|For mustard paste|
|Mustard seeds||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon, soaked|
Calories 428 Calories from Fat 300
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 34 g51.7%
Saturated Fat 6.1 g30.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 112.5 mg
Sodium 238.6 mg9.9%
Total Carbohydrates 4 g1.2%
Dietary Fiber 1.1 g4.5%
Sugars 1 g
Protein 27 g54.1%
Vitamin A 5.8% Vitamin C 42.8%
Calcium 10.3% Iron 13.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Soak the mustard seeds in 2 tablespoons water for at least an hour.
2) In your blender, add the soaked mustard, a pinch of salt, and 1-2 green chilies.
3) Add 2-3 tablespoon water and process to a smooth paste.
4) Clean and wash the fish steaks. Lightly pat dry with paper towel to soak extra water.
5) Use a container with airtight lid, to place the Ilish steaks.
6) Add the mustard paste, turmeric powder, lime juice, and salt to the fish.
7) Pour in most of the mustard oil and thoroughly coat all the fish steaks with the spices.
8) Place the green chilies on top and spread with remaining mustard oil before closing the lid tightly.
9) In a large pan, bring 1 cup of water to boil over high heat.
10) Carefully place the airtight container in the boiling water and cover the large pan with a lid.
11) Reduce heat to medium to simmer the water.
12) Cook the fish for another 15-20 minutes in simmering water.
13) Serve the Ilish Bhapa piping hot, over the steamed rice.