- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Iceberg Taco Salad Recipe
|Iceberg lettuce head||1|
|Lean ground beef||1 Pound|
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Chopped onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Use 1 Small Ones)|
|Onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped (1 Small Sized)|
|Tomato sauce||8 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Chili powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Cumin powder||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Tomatoes||2 Medium, cut into wedges|
|Green pepper||1 Small, finley diced|
|Green pepper||1 Small, finely diced|
|Red onion||1 Small, cut into rings|
|Avocado||1 , sliced|
|Cheddar cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), shredded|
Calories 817 Calories from Fat 428
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 49 g75.8%
Saturated Fat 14.4 g72%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 149 mg
Sodium 856.6 mg35.7%
Total Carbohydrates 40 g13.3%
Dietary Fiber 16.1 g64.6%
Sugars 17.1 g
Protein 58 g116.5%
Vitamin A 99.7% Vitamin C 139.8%
Calcium 24.3% Iron 45.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Pluck lettuce leaves from the head and wash them thoroughly.
2. Place them in a bowl of ice-chilled water for 30 minutes until ready to serve.
3. In a skillet, heat the oil.
4. When hot but not smoking, add the ground beef and onion.
5. SautÃ©, breaking beef lumps with back of the spoon, until meat is lightly browned.
6. Tip in the tomato sauce and sprinkle spices and salt.
7. Mix well and bring to a boil for flavors to be absorbed.
8. Cover pan, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes until beef is cooked and mixture is thick.
9. Drain lettuce and pat dry then tear into bite size pieces after removing the core.
10. In a bowl, combine the meat mixture, tomato wedges, pepper and onion and toss well.
11. On 2 salad plates divide the lettuce.
12. Heap the beef mixture over the lettuce.
13. Top with avocado slices and cheese.
14. Serve immediately.