- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Hunter's Stew Recipe
|Bacon slices||8 , chopped|
|Onions||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), finely chopped|
|Garlic||1 Teaspoon, finely chopped|
|Carrots||1 Cup (16 tbs), scraped and sliced|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Red wine vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Beef chuck||3 Pound, boneless, cut into 2-inch cubes|
|Black pepper||To Taste, freshly ground|
|Converted rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Green peppers||2 Medium, with seeds and ribs removed and cut into slices 1/4 inch wide and 2 inches long to make about 1 1/2 cups|
|Beef stock||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
Calories 1003 Calories from Fat 568
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 63 g97.1%
Saturated Fat 25.4 g126.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 228 mg
Sodium 791 mg33%
Total Carbohydrates 33 g10.8%
Dietary Fiber 3.3 g13.1%
Sugars 6.3 g
Protein 72 g143.2%
Vitamin A 112.5% Vitamin C 111.9%
Calcium 16.6% Iron 41.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Take a 10- or 12-inch skillet and sautÃ© bacon in it for 6 to 8 minutes over medium heat, until it has rendered most of its fat and is crisp.
2) Using a slotted spoon, remove the bacon, saving it for later use.
3) Discard all but a thin film of fat from the skillet.
4) Stir in onions and sautÃ© them for 3 or 4 minutes, until they are slightly transparent.
5) Mix in garlic and carrots and sautÃ© for 5 or 6 minutes longer.
6) To the skillet, place back the reserved bacon and then pour in water and vinegar.
7) Add in beef cubes, salt, and a few grindings of black pepper and lower heat to its lowest point.
8) Cover and simmer the mixture for about 1 hour until the beef can be pierced easily with the tip of a small sharp knife.
9) Slowly mix in rice and then sliced peppers and 1 cup of beef stock.
10) Allow the liquid to come to a boil and lower heat to low.
11) Simmer the liquid, covered for 20 minutes, until the rice is soft but not mushy and then adjust seasoning.
12) Pour in remaining beef stock if the rice becomes too dry or shows signs of sticking to the bottom of the pan at any point of time.
13) Serve hot.