- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Hungarian Black Cherry Soup Recipe
|Fresh bing cherries||3 Pound, rinsed|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Finely grated orange zest||1 Tablespoon|
|Finely grated lemon zest||2 Teaspoon|
|Fresh orange juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Fresh lemon juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Tokay wine/Riesling wine||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Sweet)|
|Creme fraiche/Sour cream||6 Tablespoon (For Garnish)|
|Fresh mint sprigs||6 (For Garnish)|
Calories 241 Calories from Fat 22
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3 g4.8%
Saturated Fat 0.01 g0.03%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 70.3 mg2.9%
Total Carbohydrates 50 g16.7%
Dietary Fiber 5.5 g22.2%
Sugars 41.8 g
Protein 4 g7.8%
Vitamin A 5.4% Vitamin C 47.4%
Calcium 4.8% Iron 34.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Select the best 18 cherries and keep aside.
2. Chop stems of the remaining cherries and keep in a cherry pitter.
3. In a nonreactive soup pot, keep the prepared cherries.
4. Add sugar, orange and lemon zests and juices; toss to mix.
5. Pour water.
6. Heat the soup and bring to boil.
7. Add wine and reduce the heat to medium-low.
8. Simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes until the cherries are sof.
9. Carefully skim any foam accumulated on the surface.
10. Cook with occasional stirring.
11. Season with salt.
12. Remove the pot from heat and let it cool to room temperature.
13. Spoon cherries and process in a food processor or blender until smooth.
14. Add a bit of liquid for blending if required.
15. Return the cherry puree to the soup liquid.
16. Chill soup in refrigerator for 4 to 5 hours.
17. Pour soup into 6 shallow bowls.
18. Top with a tablespoon of creme fraiche.
19. Garnish with 3 reserved cherries, and a mint sprig.