- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
|Garbanzo beans||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), soaked overnight|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
|Tahini/Sesame paste||1 Tablespoon (Sesame Paste)|
|Olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Lemon||1⁄2 , juiced|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1716 Calories from Fat 1171
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 134 g205.8%
Saturated Fat 18.2 g91.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 441 mg18.4%
Total Carbohydrates 107 g35.8%
Dietary Fiber 31.2 g124.9%
Sugars 16.7 g
Protein 36 g72%
Vitamin A 55.4% Vitamin C 60.8%
Calcium 25% Iron 73%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Wash the garbanzo beans thoroughly and add to a heavy bottomed pan.
2. Cover with fresh water and bring to a boil.
3. Simmer beans for about 1 1/2 hours, until very tender.
4. Drain the beans when cooled, reserving the water liquid.
5. In a food processor jar, combine the boiled garbanzo beans along with garlic, tahini, and olive oil.
6. Pulse until coarsely ground.
7. Add a little of the reserved cooking liquid and blend into a thick paste.
8. Add salt and pepper and lemon juice to taste.
9. Empty out into a serving bowl and refrigerate to cool before serving.
10. Sprinkle paprika over the hummus and drizzle with olive oil if you like.
11. Serve with pita, falafel or veggie sticks.