- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
|Garbanzo beans||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), soaked overnight|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
|Tahini/Sesame paste||1 Tablespoon (Sesame Paste)|
|Olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1625 Calories from Fat 1103
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 126 g193.5%
Saturated Fat 17.1 g85.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 435 mg18.1%
Total Carbohydrates 102 g34.1%
Dietary Fiber 29.2 g116.8%
Sugars 17 g
Protein 33 g66.2%
Vitamin A 55.1% Vitamin C 34%
Calcium 21.2% Iron 68.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Wash the garbanzo beans thoroughly and add to a heavy bottomed pan.
2. Cover with fresh water and bring to a boil.
3. Simmer beans for about 1 1/2 hours, until very tender.
4. Drain the beans when cooled, reserving the water liquid.
5. In a food processor jar, combine the boiled garbanzo beans along with garlic, tahini, and olive oil.
6. Pulse until coarsely ground.
7. Add a little of the reserved cooking liquid and blend into a thick paste.
8. Add salt and pepper and lemon juice to taste.
9. Empty out into a serving bowl and refrigerate to cool before serving.
10. Sprinkle paprika over the hummus and drizzle with olive oil if you like.
11. Serve with pita, falafel or veggie sticks.