- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Huevos Rancheros with Indian Twist Recipe Video
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1⁄2 Medium, chopped finely|
|Garlic cloves||2 Medium, mashed|
|Cumin seeds||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Chili paste||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Sambal Olek - As Required To Taste)|
|Sea salt||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Crushed tomatoes||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Ginger knob||1 Inch, julienned|
|Fresh cilantro||1 Tablespoon (For Garnishing)|
Calories 237 Calories from Fat 117
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13 g20.3%
Saturated Fat 2.5 g12.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 186.1 mg
Sodium 933.6 mg38.9%
Total Carbohydrates 24 g7.9%
Dietary Fiber 5.8 g23%
Sugars 2.7 g
Protein 10 g20.7%
Vitamin A 46.6% Vitamin C 42.4%
Calcium 13.9% Iron 32.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Heat a medium-sized frying pan (one that would comfortably fry two eggs in it) over medium-high heat.
2. Add vegetable oil, add onions and fry until they start to brown.
3. Add mashed garlic and dried spices, including chili paste.
4. Let fry on medium-high for 1 minute, then add crushed tomatoes.
5. Lower heat to medium and cover loosely (mainly so that the sauce doesn’t splatter all over the place).
6. Let the tomatoes break down and all the flavors blend together – this will take 8-10 minutes (After this point, if you want the sauce to be thicker, you can keep frying it with the cover off).
7. Crack two eggs on top of the tomato sauce, cover and let the eggs cook through from the steam in the pan – about 3 minutes.
8. Serve immediately, sprinkled with salt and black pepper and garnished with cilantro and julienned ginger.
9. Accompany this dish with some warm tortillas or naan!