- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
How to Make Traditional Korean Rice Cake (Gyung Dan) Recipe Video
|Red beans||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cinnamon powder||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Sagebrush powder||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Black sesame seeds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Toasted yellow soy bean powder||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sweet rice flour||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Mochiko powder)|
|Boiling water||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (or upto 1 cup)|
|Flour||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For dusting)|
Calories 643 Calories from Fat 46
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g8.4%
Saturated Fat 0.74 g3.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 463 mg19.3%
Total Carbohydrates 135 g45.1%
Dietary Fiber 7.8 g31.2%
Sugars 54.8 g
Protein 19 g38.1%
Vitamin A 0.3% Vitamin C 42.3%
Calcium 10.6% Iron 35.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
For 3 colored coating
1. Rinse the black sesame seed under cold water, and drain.
2. In a hot pan, and dry roast them, stirring continuously until they start to crackle and are crispy.
3. In a coffee grinder, put the roasted sesame seeds and grind into fine powder.
4. In 3 bowls, put sagebrush powder one bowl, sesame seed powder other and soy bean powder in third bowl.
5. Add 2 tablespoons of sugar and 1 pinch of salt in each bowl.
For red bean paste
6. Wash the red beans under running water and drain.
7. In a pot, put the red beans with water, bring to a boil on high heat for 10 minutes and lower the heat to low and cook for 50 minutes more.
8. Stir the beans and crush them on the sides of the pan.
9. In a food processor, put slightly cooled beans and add in brown sugar, 1 teaspoon of salt and cinnamon powder and set aside.
For the cake dough
10. In a large bowl, put the rice flour and 1 teaspoon of salt, and stir to mix.
11. Add the hot water little at a time and stir as you add.
12. Using a spoon stir the flour mixture well, and using hand knead it into the dough.
13. Add in the plain flour. if the dough is a bit wet.
14. In a plastic bag put the dough and knead it well, and set aside.
For making cake
15. On a well floured surface, place the dough, roll it in tube and cut it in 18 to 20 pieces.
16. Knead each dough and make a depression with the thumb, put about 1 teaspoon of bean paste and bring all the sides together, seal and shape in ball.
17. Place the ball on a floured surface.
18. In a pot of boiling water, carefully put the dough balls and cook until they float to the surface, allow to cook for 1 minute.
19. Using a perforated ladle, drain the balls and place them in cold water.
20. Remove and coat them in different colored powders.
21. Serve as desired.