- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Homemade Date Squares Recipe Video
|For the filling|
|Dates||1 Pound, chopped|
|Hot water||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
|For the pastry|
|Flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Quick oats||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Butter||1 Cup (16 tbs), cut into small cubes|
Calories 325 Calories from Fat 109
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g19.2%
Saturated Fat 7.4 g37%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 30.2 mg
Sodium 18.1 mg0.8%
Total Carbohydrates 54 g17.9%
Dietary Fiber 3.7 g14.8%
Sugars 33.7 g
Protein 4 g7.4%
Vitamin A 7.1% Vitamin C 0.43%
Calcium 2.2% Iron 6.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven too 375 degrees F.
2. For the filling: In a sauce pan on medium heat, add the dates, water, brown sugar, vanilla extract and lemon juice. Mix well and cook the dates for about 8 - 10 minutes or until they soften and the water is absorbed.
3. For the pastry: In a mixing bowl, add and combine together the flour, quick oats, brown sugar, salt and mix well. Add the butter and mix it well into the flour mixture until moistened.
4. Once the dates soften, remove the saucepan from heat and set it aside to cool.
5. Take a greased 9 inch square baking pan and spread half of the pastry mixture at the bottom of the pan and press it down gently. Spread the cooled date filling evenly over the pastry.
6. Once done, spread the remaining pastry mixture over the filling and pat it down gently. Bake this in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes.
7. once done, remove the pan and let it cool completely before serving.
8. serve these date squares with warm milk.