- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
How to Make Pita Bread Recipe Video
|Olive oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Warm water||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Baking yeast||3 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Flour||5 1⁄2 Cup (88 tbs)|
Calories 431 Calories from Fat 17
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 2 g3.1%
Saturated Fat 0.3 g1.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 169.7 mg7.1%
Total Carbohydrates 89 g29.6%
Dietary Fiber 3.3 g13.3%
Sugars 1.1 g
Protein 12 g24.2%
Vitamin A Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 2.1% Iron 30.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven to 500 – 550 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a large bowl, pour the warm water and add sugar; mix to dissolve.
3. Add the yeast; let it sit for 5 minutes for the yeast to get frothy and active.
4. Add three cups of the flour to the yeast bowl and half a teaspoon of salt.
5. Using a wooden spoon, mix the ingredients.
6. Gradually add the remaining flour and keep mixing.
7. When the dough comes together, start kneading it.
8. Dust a clean surface with flour and knead the dough until it’s smooth and elastic but not sticky; should take about 5 minutes.
9. Rub your hands with little bit of olive oil and apply on the surface of the dough to prevent it from drying.
10. Place the dough in a large bowl, cover with a parchment paper or towel and let it sit in a warm place for about ½ an hour to 2 hours for rising.
11. When the dough is ready, punch it down and squish it a bit.
12. Cut into big chunks and roll each dough ball into 1/4th or ½ inch thick circles.
13. Place the pita dough into a baking sheet or ceramic baking stone and bake it for about 6 minutes; make sure there are no creases or folds in the bread.
14. Use the pita bread immediately by filling it with delicious fillings of your choice or store it in air tight containers for freezing.