- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
How to Make Namak Pare (Matri): Indian Snacks Recipe Video
|For the dough|
|All purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Whole wheat flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Carom seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Ajwain seeds)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (As needed for the dough)|
|Oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For deep frying)|
Calories 169 Calories from Fat 86
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g15.1%
Saturated Fat 1.3 g6.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 121.9 mg5.1%
Total Carbohydrates 18 g6%
Dietary Fiber 1.5 g5.8%
Sugars 0.1 g
Protein 3 g5.5%
Vitamin A 0.3% Vitamin C 0.83%
Calcium 0.6% Iron 6.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will Need1. Rolling pin
1. Take a bowl with all purpose flour. To this add whole wheat flour, carom seeds and salt. Mix the dry ingredients.
2. Add oil and mix well.
3. Gradually add water, a little at a time and knead to get a stiff dough. Make sure not to add too much water as the dough should not be soft, instead it has to be stiff.
4. Once the dough is ready, cover it and let it rest for about 10 minutes.
5. After 10 minutes, divide the rested dough into 3 equal portions.
6. Using a rolling pin, roll each portion into flat dough sheets. (Do not roll it too thin)
7. Once rolled, using a pizza cutter or a knife, cut crisscross lines on the dough evenly to get rectangular pieces as shown in the video.
8. Heat up oil in a pan for frying. Once the oil is hot enough, fry the matri pieces on a low to medium heat until golden brown and cooked completely from the inside. (Fry for about 4 - 5 minutes)
9. Once done, drain on to a paper towel to remove the excess oil.
10. Serve with a hot cup of tea or coffee.