- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Falafel with Tahini Sauce Recipe Video
|Tahini||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Sesame paste FOR TAHINI SAUCE)|
|Plain yogurt||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (FOR TAHINI SAUCE)|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon (FOR TAHINI SAUCE)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon (FOR TAHINI SAUCE; FALAFEL)|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm) (FOR TAHINI SAUCE; FALAFEL)|
|Garbanzo beans||2 Cup (32 tbs), soaked and boiled (FOR FALAFEL)|
|Onion||1 Small, cut into 4 (FOR FALAFEL)|
|Coriander||1 Teaspoon, chopped (FOR FALAFEL)|
|Cumin||1 Teaspoon (FOR FALAFEL)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon (FOR FALAFEL)|
|Flour||4 Tablespoon (FOR FALAFEL)|
|Parsley||1 Tablespoon, chopped finely (FOR FALAFEL)|
|Cilantro||1 Tablespoon, chopped (FOR FALAFEL)|
|Vegetable oil/Canola oil||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Pita pockets||8 Medium, cut in half|
|Cucumber slices||24 Medium|
|Tomato slices||24 Medium|
|Lettuce leaves||8 Medium|
Calories 1118 Calories from Fat 611
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 70 g108.3%
Saturated Fat 9.1 g45.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1.8 mg0.6%
Sodium 892.8 mg37.2%
Total Carbohydrates 106 g35.4%
Dietary Fiber 16.4 g65.6%
Sugars 19.2 g
Protein 24 g48.6%
Vitamin A 84.2% Vitamin C 97.1%
Calcium 19.8% Iron 42.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. TAHINI SAUCE: In a blender put sesame paste, yogurt, garlic, lemon juice and salt and blend until you have a smooth, creamy sauce (You can find Tahini in most grocery stores in their International aisle).
2. FALAFEL: In a pan put the soaked garbanzo beans and boil for about 10 minutes or until softened but not completely cooked through.
3. Drain them and place them in a food processor.
4. Add onion, garlic, coriander, cumin, salt, baking powder, flour, parsley and cilantro and process until smooth.
5. Taste the processed garbanzos for salt and re-adjust. Cover and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
6. In a deep pan, heat the oil until it reaches 350 degrees.
7. While the oil is heating, make your patties with the garbanzo beans mixture. You can make them as big or small as desired, a cookie scoop can be used to make a ball and then flatten it slightly.
8. Place the patties in the hot oil and cook a few at a time making sure not to overcrowd the pan.
9. Once browned and crisp, remove the patties from the oil and place them on a paper towel lined plate. Keep them warm in the oven (set the oven on warm setting).
10. On a serving plate, cut a pita pocket through the middle and smear with Tahini sauce. Place the lettuce leaf, cucumber, tomato and falafel inside. Drizzle with a little more Tahini sauce and serve.