- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Cuban Black Bean Soup in the Crock-Pot Recipe Video
|Black beans||16 Ounce, soaked overnight|
|Yellow onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Tomatoes||5 , peeled, chopped (4 for the soup and 1 for garnish)|
|Carrot||2 Medium, peeled, diced|
|Chili pepper||1 Medium, seeded, chopped|
|Celery stalks||2 Medium, chopped finely (with leaves)|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), minced|
|Salt||2 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Black pepper||2 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Dried oregano||1 Tablespoon|
|Boiling water||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Scallion greens||2 , chopped (for garnish)|
|Fresh cheese||1 Tablespoon (for garnish (omit if vegan))|
Calories 329 Calories from Fat 23
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3 g4.3%
Saturated Fat 0.75 g3.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1.3 mg
Sodium 717.5 mg29.9%
Total Carbohydrates 61 g20.2%
Dietary Fiber 15.8 g63.3%
Sugars 6 g
Protein 19 g38.8%
Vitamin A 92.4% Vitamin C 44.1%
Calcium 21.6% Iron 42.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Prepare all the ingredients according to the list.
2. In a slow cooker place all the ingredients. Mix well and cover. Cook on high for 5 hours.
3. Uncover the pot and using an immersion blender, blend until 3/4 of the soup is creamed.
4. Return the creamed soup to the pot with the remaining soup. Mix well. Taste for salt and re-season if necessary.
5. Ladle into serving bowls and garnish with chopped tomatoes, crumbled white cheese and chopped scallions.
If you do not have one, let the soup cool for a little while and blend 3/4 of it, in batches, in a stand-up blender.