- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Cream of Broccoli and Cheese Soup Recipe Video
|Broccoli florets||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Yellow onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Nutmeg powder||1 Pinch|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced (1 large cloves)|
|Low sodium chicken stock/Low sodium vegetable stock||4 Cup (64 tbs) (or water)|
|Whole milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cheddar cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), grated|
|Salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Fresh thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
Calories 290 Calories from Fat 159
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 18 g27.7%
Saturated Fat 10.7 g53.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 46 mg
Sodium 464.7 mg19.4%
Total Carbohydrates 22 g7.2%
Dietary Fiber 1.1 g4.4%
Sugars 2 g
Protein 15 g29%
Vitamin A 63% Vitamin C 139.1%
Calcium 22.9% Iron 12.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Prepare the ingredients according to the list.
1. In a heavy pan melt butter. Add the onion. Season with salt and nutmeg and cook until softened for 4 minutes.
2. Put the flour and mix well. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Slowly whisk in the stock. Whisk the roux constantly until all lumps have disappeared.
4. Bring to a soft simmer and simmer for 5 minutes until thickened.
5. Add the broccoli and cook for about 10 minutes or until it is cooked through.
6. Blend the soup and return it to the pot.
7. Put the cream and the cheese. Stir until cheese is melted and soup is heated through. Taste for salt and adjust.
8. In a serving bowl, serve this soup hot with crispy bread.
If you have an immersion blender do it now. If you don’t, wait for it to cool a bit and blend in batches.