- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Cream of Asparagus Recipe Video
|Fresh asparagus||2 Pound, tips removed, woody ends cut (save tips for serving)|
|White onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Low sodium vegetable stock/Chicken stock||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Nutmeg powder||1 Pinch (Optional)|
|Cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Pepper||1 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Parsley||1 Teaspoon, chopped finely (for serving)|
Calories 217 Calories from Fat 42
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4 g6.9%
Saturated Fat 3.1 g15.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 10.1 mg
Sodium 704.5 mg29.4%
Total Carbohydrates 40 g13.3%
Dietary Fiber 6.8 g27.3%
Sugars 18.9 g
Protein 7 g13.4%
Vitamin A 39.3% Vitamin C 30.3%
Calcium 15.2% Iron 28.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Cut the stalks of the asparagus in thirds.
2. Place the tips in a steamer and steam until tender. Set them aside for garnishing your soup.
3. In a pot melt the butter and add the onion. Cook for 6 minutes until softened and translucent.
4. Put the cut asparagus and sauté for 4 minutes.
5. Pour the stock. Simmer for about 15 minutes until the asparagus is cooked through and tender.
6. Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until creamy.
7. Return the soup to the pot and add the nutmeg and cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Heat soup through turn off the heat.
9. In a serving bowl, serve this soup garnished with asparagus tips.
If you do not have an immersion blender, wait for the soup to cool down and blend it. Hot liquids can explode through the blender lid so be careful when dealing with them.