- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
How to Make Chunky Marinara Sauce & How to Properly Cool Sauces, Soups and Stews Recipe Video
|Extra virgin olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Onion||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), chop|
|Celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chop|
|Red bell pepper||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chop|
|Cremini mushrooms||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chop|
|Zucchini||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chop|
|Summer squash||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chop|
|Carrot||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), shredded|
|Seasoning mix||2 Teaspoon (Grand Diamond Seasoning)|
|Kosher salt||1 Teaspoon|
|Cracked black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Crushed red pepper flakes||1 Teaspoon (optional)|
|Dried thyme||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dried oregano||1 Teaspoon|
|Tomato paste||3 Tablespoon|
|Whole tomatoes||28 Ounce (1 can)|
|Tomato sauce can||29 Ounce (1 can)|
|Low sodium vegetable stock||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Italian parsley||2 Tablespoon, chopped finely|
Calories 145 Calories from Fat 69
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g11.5%
Saturated Fat 0.62 g3.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 886.6 mg36.9%
Total Carbohydrates 18 g6.1%
Dietary Fiber 5 g19.9%
Sugars 11.3 g
Protein 4 g7.1%
Vitamin A 56% Vitamin C 73.9%
Calcium 7.4% Iron 19%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Chop the onion, celery, red bell pepper, cremini mushroom, zucchini and summer squash, keep it aside separately.
2. Shred the carrots and finely chop Italian parsley.
3. Place a large stock pot over medium to medium-high heat. Pour in the olive oil and allow it to get slightly hot for 2 to 3 minutes. Sauté the onions and celery for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, carrot, and garlic to the pot and stir for another 5 to 7 minutes making sure all of the vegetables are coated with the oil and are able to become slightly softened.
4. Sprinkle in the salt, all purpose seasoning, black pepper, red pepper, thyme, oregano, and tomato paste and stir allowing the dry herbs, spices and paste to warm and coat the vegetables.
5. In a separate bowl, pour in the whole tomatoes and mash with a potato masher. Add the mashed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and stock. Stir to combine all of the ingredients. Turn the heat down to medium low and simmer for 15 minutes.
6. Stir in the honey and keep simmering uncovered for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
7. Once the sauce is cooked you need to cool it by using the ice bath method i.e fill your sink half with water and the other half with ice.
8. Then you place the sauce pot in the ice bath and continue to stir for approximately 30-40 minute. This process will make the cooling of the sauce faster you have to lower the temperature of the sauce to 70 degree.
9. Once the sauce is cooled portion it out and freeze it in re-sealable freezer bags.
10. Once done, stir in the parsley and serve over your favorite pasta. Use it in lasagna or as a pizza sauce.
Cleaning the mushroom with a damp paper towel retains the texture avoid cleaning it with water.
For non vegetarians you can use chicken broth instead of vegetable stock.