- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
How To Make Chocolate Ruffle Cake Recipe Video
|Caster sugar||350 Gram|
|Bicarbonate of soda||1 Pinch|
|Self-raising flour||175 Gram|
|Sunflower oil||175 Milliliter|
|Cocoa powder||100 Gram|
|Whipping cream||450 Milliliter|
|Dark chocolate||300 Gram (broken into pieces)|
|Vanilla extract||2 Drop|
|Chocolate vermicelli||100 Gram|
|Dark chocolate||400 Gram (bar)|
Calories 624 Calories from Fat 325
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 36 g55.9%
Saturated Fat 17 g84.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 84.4 mg
Sodium 203.5 mg8.5%
Total Carbohydrates 67 g22.5%
Dietary Fiber 5.7 g22.6%
Sugars 45.4 g
Protein 7 g13.5%
Vitamin A 1.6% Vitamin C
Calcium 10.3% Iron 28.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Set the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Prepare a 20cm round cake tin, lined with baking parchment.
2. Into a bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Stir in the sugar.
3. In another bowl, beat the eggs with the oil and milk and pour into the dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Pour the mixture into the lined cake tin. Bake the cake in the centre of the oven at 180°C for 1.25-1.5 hours.
5. Remove the cake from the oven and upturn it onto a wire rack and leave it to cool.
6. Bring the whipping cream to the boil.
7. In a bowl, place the chocolate and pour over the cream and add the vanilla extract. Stir until the chocolate melts. Leave the mixture to cool.
8. Break the chocolate into pieces and then melt it in the microwave oven. Pour the chocolate onto the granite or marble and spread it out with the palette knife.
9. When the chocolate is on the point of setting, use the paint scraper to go around the edges to neaten the rectangle.
10. Starting at one edge, place the paint scraper under about a 5cm area of chocolate and place your finger on top, and then scrape the chocolate away from you so that the chocolate ruffles up.
11. On a cake board, place the cake upside-down. Using a long-bladed knife, cut the chocolate cake into 3 layers.
12. Fill the layers of the cake with the whipped ganache. Spread the ganache over the top and sides of the cake.
13. Tip the vermicelli out onto baking parchment, and scoop it up and gently press it against the sides of the cake.
14. Wearing disposable gloves, starting at the outside edge, press the ruffles into the ganache on the top of the cake.
15. Cut this Chocolate Ruffle Cake into pieces and serve.