- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Chinese Salt and Pepper Pork Chops Recipe Video
|Coarse salt||2 Tablespoon (FOR PREPARED SALT)|
|Chinese five spice powder||1⁄8 Teaspoon (FOR PREPARED SALT)|
|White pepper/Szechuan peppercorn||1⁄2 Teaspoon (FOR PREPARED SALT)|
|Pork chops||8 Small, cut into bite-size pieces|
|Sherry vinegar||1⁄8 Cup (2 tbs) (FOR MARINADE)|
|Soy sauce||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (FOR MARINADE)|
|Brown sugar||1 Teaspoon (FOR MARINADE)|
|Sesame oil||4 Drop (FOR MARINADE)|
|Prepared salt||1 Tablespoon (FOR MARINADE, FLOUR MIX)|
|Garlic||6 Clove (30 gm), sliced (FOR MARINADE, STIR FRY)|
|Chilli pepper||1 1⁄2 Medium, seeded, sliced (Optional)|
|Cornstarch||1 Cup (16 tbs) (FOR FLOUR MIX)|
|Flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (FOR FLOUR MIX)|
|Peanut oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (for deep frying)|
|Scallions (green and white)||4 Large, cut into long pieces|
|Crispy rice noodles||1 Cup (16 tbs) (FOR SERVING)|
Calories 1355 Calories from Fat 731
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 82 g126.7%
Saturated Fat 17.3 g86.4%
Trans Fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 156.4 mg52.1%
Sodium 5068.3 mg211.2%
Total Carbohydrates 98 g32.7%
Dietary Fiber 2.7 g10.9%
Sugars 2.6 g
Protein 52 g104.1%
Vitamin A 7% Vitamin C 42.3%
Calcium 9.5% Iron 18.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Prepare the ingredients according to the list.
2. Heat a pan and add the coarse salt. Heat it till it begins to turn grey.
3. Transfer it into a mortar and allow cooling.
4. To this add Chinese five spice powder, white pepper. Crush it with a pestle and keep aside.
5. Cut the pork chops into small thin bite- size pieces. Retain some meat on the bones and retain those. Transfer them into a zip lock plastic bag.
6. MARINADE: In a bowl, mix sherry vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, ½ teaspoon of prepared salt, garlic and chilli. Mix them well.
7. Pour the marinade into the zip lock bag with the meat. Shake it well to coat the meat.
8. Marinate it for a minimum of 1 hour. Longer marinating will enhance the taste.
9. In a larger bowl, mix flour, corn starch, ½ teaspoon of the prepared salt. Keep aside.
10. Take a large wok or pan, heat peanut oil to 350 degrees for deep frying.
11. Meanwhile, dredge the pork pieces into the flour mix and keep on a platter after shaking off excess flour.
12. Deep fry the pork pieces slowly till crisp golden brown, in batches while waiting to heat the oil after every batch.
13. Each batch should take around 4 minutes each. The bones will take longer.
14. Drain them on a paper towel.
15. Remove the peanut oil leaving around 3 tablespoon in the wok. Heat it.
16. Add the scallions, chilli pepper and garlic. Sauté till tender and return the fried pork.
17. Mix them well and heat it through and turn off the heat.
18. On a serving plate, serve the pork hot with crispy rice noodles and vegetables.
Avoid using the chilli if feeding a child.