- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
How To Make Calabacitas - A Mexican Zucchini Recipe Video
|Summer squash||2 Pound, slice (zucchini, sunburst, cookneck)|
|Yellow onion||1 Large, dice|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), mince|
|Green chilies||4 Ounce, drained, rinsed (Diced)|
|Oregano leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Corn kernals||2 Medium|
|Cotija cheese/Queso fresco||1 Cup (16 tbs), crumbled|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
|Fresh cilantro||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Olive oil||4 Teaspoon|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
Calories 318 Calories from Fat 78
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g13.4%
Saturated Fat 2.3 g11.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 6.6 mg
Sodium 218.1 mg9.1%
Total Carbohydrates 58 g19.5%
Dietary Fiber 9.4 g37.6%
Sugars 12.5 g
Protein 12 g24.1%
Vitamin A 25.1% Vitamin C 201.3%
Calcium 8% Iron 12.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will Needlarge pan
1. Dice the yellow onions and green chilies, mince the garlic and chop the cilantro, keep it aside.
2. Slice the summer squash or zucchini, scrap the corn from the corn kernels and keep it aside.
3. In a large skillet over medium heat sauté the onions in olive oil for 15-20 minutes or until translucent.
4. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
5. Add the corn, green chiles, oregano, salt and pepper. Stir until everything is nicely combined and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
6. Add the zucchini and cook for 8-9 minutes or until it is almost fork tender, add the lemon juice and taste and adjust the salt content and cook for 2 minutes.
7. Turn off the heat and remove the pan, add the crumble cheese over the vegetables and stir.
8. Serve the calabacitas hot with a nice garnish of fresh cilantro.