- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
How to Make Bunuelos - A Mexican Pastry with Cinnamon and Sugar Recipe Video
|Plain flour||3 1⁄3 Cup (53.33 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Melted butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Canola oil||300 Milliliter (for frying)|
|For the toppings|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 501 Calories from Fat 270
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 31 g47%
Saturated Fat 4.8 g24.2%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 46.3 mg
Sodium 212.3 mg8.8%
Total Carbohydrates 54 g17.9%
Dietary Fiber 1.7 g6.7%
Sugars 19.4 g
Protein 4 g8.1%
Vitamin A 3.4% Vitamin C 0.08%
Calcium 6.9% Iron 2.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will Need2 Quart pan
1. In a bowl combine sugar and cinnamon for the toppings.
2. In the meantime shift 4 cups of flour onto a sheet of wax paper, measure 3 1/3 cups from the total flour and add salt, baking powder and sugar and sift all the ingredients into a mixing bowl, sifting the flour twice will make it light and airy.
3. Add the butter and mix it in with your fingertips. until it has the consistency of corn meal.
4. In a separate bowl, add the eggs and beat gently. Add the milk and combine well.
5. Once done pour the milk & egg mixture into the flour mixture and stir with a spoon until you form smooth dough.
6. Transfer the dough on a board and knead the dough lightly for 3 minutes or until it’s smooth.
7. Once the dough is ready, pinch a small piece about ¾ to 1 inch in diameter, shape it into a ball, when all the balls are ready let it rest for 15 minutes.
8. In a 2 quart saucepan, pour the oil and heat up the oil to 350 degree on medium heat, do not smoke the oil.
9. After 15 minutes lightly dust a wooden cutting board with flour and roll out each ball into a thin pancake about 1/8 inch thick and 4 inches in diameter. Place your circles of dough on a sheet of wax paper.
10. Fry the circles of dough in hot oil for 30 seconds on each side or until it turns a golden brown.
11. Once done, remove them with tongs and drain on paper towels, let it cool.
12. Once cooled, gently sprinkle the cinnamon & sugar mixture on both the sides of the bunuelos and, set on paper towels to cool.
13. Serve them for breakfast with a cup of coffee or Mexican hot chocolate.
Play with the temperature of the oil by noticing how long it takes for the dough to turn golden brown. If it takes longer than 30 seconds, turn up the heat a bit. If you notice the dough turning dark brown in ten seconds, turn the heat down.
If using a zip lock bag then place one bunuelos in the zip lock bag to coat