- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Bolivian Chicharron Recipe Video
|Pork shoulder||5 Pound, cut into large cubes|
|Garlic||8 Clove (40 gm), minced (or 8 large cloves)|
|Ground cumin||3 Tablespoon|
|Beer||1 Bottle (1 l) (not dark ale)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Pepper||1 Teaspoon (to taste)|
Calories 1204 Calories from Fat 645
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 71 g109.7%
Saturated Fat 24.7 g123.3%
Trans Fat 0.7 g
Cholesterol 351.6 mg117.2%
Sodium 864.4 mg36%
Total Carbohydrates 15 g5.1%
Dietary Fiber 0.25 g1%
Sugars 0.1 g
Protein 101 g201.2%
Vitamin A 0.9% Vitamin C 5.2%
Calcium 17.6% Iron 52.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Generously salt the pork.
2. Add the garlic and cumin and season the pork nicely.
3. Sprinkle pepper on top.
4. Place pork in a braising pan and pour in beer.
5. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat.
6. Braise for 2 hours. Uncover and cook for an extra 30 minutes, until all the liquid is gone.
7. Continue cooking pork so that it crisps in its own fat.
8. Make sure to stir it often so as to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
9. In a serving plate, serve crisped pork with warm hominy or tortillas, rice and beans.