- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Beef Barley Stew Recipe Video
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Beef stew||3 Pound, cut into cubes|
|Flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), minced|
|Yellow onion||1 Large, coarsely chopped|
|Bay leaves||3 Medium|
|Dried thyme||1 Teaspoon|
|Celery leaves||2 Teaspoon, chopped finely|
|Red potatoes||4 Medium, cut into cubes|
|White mushrooms||6 Large, sliced|
|Carrots||3 Medium, cut into 2 inch pieces|
|Barley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Frozen peas||1 Cup (16 tbs), thawed|
|Celery stalks||3 Medium, cut into 1 inch pieces|
|Bacon slices||4 , Cut into 6 pieces|
|Beef broth||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
Calories 826 Calories from Fat 243
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 27 g41.7%
Saturated Fat 6.9 g34.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 56.3 mg
Sodium 3299.1 mg137.5%
Total Carbohydrates 109 g36.5%
Dietary Fiber 15.7 g62.9%
Sugars 12.2 g
Protein 41 g81.1%
Vitamin A 269.6% Vitamin C 92.9%
Calcium 16.1% Iron 44.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a bowl mix flour, salt and pepper.
2. Dredge the beef cubes in the flour mixture.
3. In a large, heavy skillet fry the bacon until crisp. Remove from pot.
4. Brown the beef equally on all sides in the bacon fat. Add olive oil if necessary and work in batches.
5. Remove the browned beef and get rid of the excess fat. Wipe pan clean.
6. In the same skillet, add some more olive oil. Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring often for 2 to 3 minutes.
7. Put the carrots, celery, celery leaves and thyme. Stir well and cook for 2 to 3 minutes longer.
8. Add the mushrooms and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
9. Return the bacon bits and beef to the pot. Add the broth and the laurel leaves.
10. Bring pot to a boil and cover. Simmer for 45 minutes. Uncover and skim the excess fat from the sides of the pot.
11. Add the potatoes, peas and the barley. Mix well.
12. Season it with pepper. Bring pot to a boil, cover and bring to a simmer again for an extra 20 minutes.
13. In a serving bowl, serve the stew with a piece of crusty bread.