- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
How To Make A Traditional Christmas Pudding - Part 2 Recipe Video
|Mixed dried fruits||750 Gram|
|Dark muscavado sugar||250 Gram|
|Plain flour||60 Gram|
|White breadcrumbs||150 Gram|
|Vegetable suet||250 Gram, shredded|
|Ground mixed spice||1 Tablespoon (Leveled)|
|Ground ginger||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Guinness stout beer||200 Milliliter|
|Bicarbonate of soda||1 Pinch|
|Baking powder||1 Pinch|
|Brandy||3 Tablespoon (to flame)|
|Vinegar||2 Drop (Optional)|
|Brandy butter balls||4 (to serve) (Optional)|
Calories 1092 Calories from Fat 621
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 68 g105.1%
Saturated Fat 22.9 g114.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 46.5 mg
Sodium 436.8 mg18.2%
Total Carbohydrates 90 g30%
Dietary Fiber 14.6 g58.5%
Sugars 48.3 g
Protein 31 g62.3%
Vitamin A 7.7% Vitamin C 0.04%
Calcium 4.2% Iron 23.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Grease a 1.25litre pudding basin with cooking oil.
2. In a large bowl, place the dried fruit, muscavado sugar, flour, breadcrumbs, suet, spices and ginger and mix well.
3. In another bowl, lightly beat the eggs into the Guinness and add the baking powder, salt and bicarbonate of soda.
4. Stir the Guinness into the dry ingredients and mix well.
5. Spoon the mixture into the pudding basin, pressing down well so that it all fits in the basin.
6. Cover with a layer of baking parchment, held in place with an elastic band.
7. Fill the base of the steamer with water and add a drop of vinegar. Place the pudding in the top of a steamer, and steam for 4.5-5 hours, ensuring that the steamer does not boil dry.
8. Remove from the steamer and leave the pudding to cool.
SERVING (On Christmas Day)
9. Place the pudding on a warmed serving plate, place holly on top and place on table. Heat the brandy in a small saucepan and pour around the base of the pudding and flame. Serve with brandy butter balls.
Note: Steaming is the best way to reheat the pudding, and helps to develop the rich dark colour. Steam the pudding for 1-2 hours to reheat thoroughly. Cover with fresh baking parchment and store in the fridge for up to 3 months.