- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Tex-Mex Chicken Casserole Recipe Video
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|White onion||1 Medium, chopped finely|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Bell pepper||1 Small, diced finely|
|Chicken breast||1⁄2 Large, diced finely (skinless, boneless)|
|Tomatoes||2 Medium, peeled, chopped|
|Oregano||1⁄2 Tablespoon, crushed|
|Ground cumin||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Black pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|White rice||1 Cup (16 tbs), cooked|
|Cilantro leaves||1 Tablespoon, chopped (Optional)|
|Salsa||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs) (of choice)|
|Ricotta cheese||500 Gram, grated|
|Garlic powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Chicken stock||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Corn tortilla||16 Small|
|Cheddar cheese||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
Calories 538 Calories from Fat 177
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g30.5%
Saturated Fat 10.7 g53.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 73.5 mg24.5%
Sodium 922.9 mg38.5%
Total Carbohydrates 69 g22.9%
Dietary Fiber 4 g15.9%
Sugars 6.7 g
Protein 22 g43%
Vitamin A 25.9% Vitamin C 34.1%
Calcium 39.2% Iron 22%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Prepare the ingredients according to the list.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. Heat the oil in a skillet.
4. Add the onion and cook until translucent or about 8 minutes.
5. Put the garlic, mix well, and cook for a couple of minutes or until you can smell it.
6. Place the bell peppers and the chicken, mix well and cook until the chicken starts cooking through or about 5 minutes.
7. Add the tomatoes, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper. Mix well and cook for about 6 minutes or until tomatoes have rendered their juice.
8. Mix in the rice, cilantro if using and ½ cup salsa. Mix well and set aside.
9. In a bowl place the Ricotta cheese. Add the garlic powder and egg. Mix until uniformly blended. Add a ½ cup salsa and mix well. Set aside.
10. In a square casserole dish spread a ½ cup layer of salsa.
11. Soak the tortillas – one at a time – in the chicken stock and top the salsa with 4 of them.
12. Add ½ of the chicken and rice mixture, spreading it evenly.
13. Sprinkle ¼ cup of Cheddar cheese on the rice and meat.
14. Place a second layer of 4 soaked tortillas.
15. Spread the Ricotta cheese on the tortillas.
16. Top it with a third layer of 4 soaked tortillas.
17. Spread the remaining meat and rice on the tortillas and add a final fourth layer of 4 soaked tortillas on that.
18. Spread the remaining cup of salsa on the top. Sprinkle with the remaining ½ cup Cheddar cheese.
19. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes.
20. Carefully remove the foil and bake for an extra 10 minutes.
21. Remove from oven and allow sitting for about 10 minutes before serving.
22. Cut lasagna into 8 pieces. On serving plates, serve with a side salad and some sliced avocado.