- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Kidney Bean Stew Recipe Video
|Dry kidney beans||1 Pound|
|Olive oil||35 Gram|
|White onion||1 Large, chopped|
|Garlic||5 Clove (25 gm), minced|
|Bell pepper||1 Small, chopped finely|
|Chilli pepper||1 Medium, minced (Optional)|
|Tomatoes||3 Large, peeled, chopped|
|Ground cumin||1 Tablespoon|
|Tomato paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Cooking liquid||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Red onion||1⁄2 Medium, chopped sliced|
|Lime||1⁄2 Medium, juiced|
|Salt||3 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Pepper||2 Teaspoon (to taste)|
Calories 561 Calories from Fat 99
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g17.3%
Saturated Fat 1.6 g7.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1509.2 mg62.9%
Total Carbohydrates 91 g30.4%
Dietary Fiber 22.9 g91.5%
Sugars 11.5 g
Protein 29 g58.1%
Vitamin A 31.7% Vitamin C 102.8%
Calcium 22.3% Iron 61.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Rinse the beans thoroughly and place in a bowl.
2. Cover with water and soak overnight. The next day, remove the beans from the soaking liquid and place in a pot.
3. Cover with fresh water and cook until tender.
4. To a pot, pour 2 tablespoon olive oil and heat.
5. Put the onion and cook for about 6 minutes.
6. Add the garlic and mix. Cook for about 2 minutes until fragrant.
7. Put the bell pepper and chilli pepper. Mix well and cook for about 4 more minutes.
8. Add the tomatoes. Make a well in the middle and add the cumin. Add 2 teaspoon oil and mix well.
9. Cook for about ½ minute and mix. Add the oregano and tomato paste. Mix well.
10. Put the cooked beans plus 4 cups of their liquid to the cooked onions. Mix well.
11. Season with 2 teaspoon salt and 2 teaspoon black pepper (or more to taste). Mix well and bring pot to a simmer. Cook for about 1 hour.
12. While the beans are cooking place the red onions and tomato in a bowl. Add the lime juice and remaining salt (or more to taste). Mix well and set aside.
13. In a serving plate, serve the cooked beans with rice. Garnish with the onion and tomato salsa.