- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Barley Salad Recipe Video
|Uncooked barley||12 Ounce|
|Bell pepper||1 Small, chopped (seeded and cored)|
|Tomatoes||2 Large, chopped (peeled)|
|Celery||2 Large, chopped|
|Scallions||4 Medium, chopped|
|Parsley||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped finely|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Lemon||1 Large, juiced|
Calories 309 Calories from Fat 91
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g15.3%
Saturated Fat 0.83 g4.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1002.2 mg41.8%
Total Carbohydrates 51 g16.9%
Dietary Fiber 11.4 g45.5%
Sugars 3.1 g
Protein 7 g14.1%
Vitamin A 32.1% Vitamin C 74%
Calcium 6.2% Iron 14.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Rinse the barley in 4 to 5 waters – making sure to remove all impurities. Soak it for about 15 minutes.
2. Boil it in lightly salted water for about 20 minutes – until barley is soft but not mushy.
3. Drain it and shock it in cold running water to stop the cooking process. Keep aside.
4. Take a large bowl; place the cooled barley.
5. Add the vegetables and herbs. Mix well.
6. Pour the olive oil, lemon juice and salt. Taste it and adjust the flavors if necessary.
7. Serve it as a light vegetarian or vegan meal or as a side for meats.