- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
How to Cook the Best Cholent Recipe Video
|Potato||2 Medium, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks|
|Onion||2 Medium, cut into bite-sized chunks|
|Flanken||1 Large, cut into 4 to 6 pieces ((2 pounds))|
|Black pepper||1 Tablespoon, coarse|
|Barley||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Dried light red kidney beans||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Consommé mix||3 Tablespoon|
|Kishka loaf||1 Pound|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
Calories 796 Calories from Fat 311
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 34 g53%
Saturated Fat 14.2 g71.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 57.9 mg19.3%
Sodium 782.7 mg32.6%
Total Carbohydrates 99 g33%
Dietary Fiber 20 g80%
Sugars 9.4 g
Protein 26 g51.4%
Vitamin A 40% Vitamin C 27.4%
Calcium 7.2% Iron 29.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Line bottom of slow cooker with potatoes and onions.
2. Rinse flanken and pat dry. Place pieces around sides of crock pot, with bones on the outside.
3. Generously pepper meat.
4. Add barley and beans. Shake the pot a bit so some of the barley and beans fall into the spaces between the potatoes and onions.
5. Season with consommé mix, paprika and honey.
6. Place kishka on top.
7. Pour in water, adding more if necessary, to completely cover all ingredients.
8. Cook on low heat overnight, at least 8 hours.
9. Serve hot Cholent with pickle.