- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Nimbu Achar - Hot Lemon Pickle Recipe Video
|For pickling the lemon|
|Fresh lemon||4 Medium, washed, cubed|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Use as required)|
|For the homemade pickle masala|
|Red chili powder||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Fenugreek seeds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), coarsely ground|
|Salt||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Olive oil/Groundnut oil||2 Tablespoon (Sunflower oil may also be used)|
Calories 85 Calories from Fat 44
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g7.6%
Saturated Fat 0.7 g3.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 3521.1 mg146.7%
Total Carbohydrates 10 g3.3%
Dietary Fiber 5.4 g21.5%
Sugars 0 g
Protein 4 g7.4%
Vitamin A 5.7% Vitamin C 38.3%
Calcium 3.3% Iron 18.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Take fresh ripe lemons, wash and rinse them well.
2. Cut each of them into halves and then again cut them further into cubes of equal sizes. (You can discard the seeds)
3. In a bowl, put the cubed pieces of lemon/lime, add salt and turmeric powder. Toss to combine the ingredients very well with the lemon cubes.
4. Store the lemon cubes in an air tight glass or plastic jar for almost 30 days until tender. Shake it every 2 to 3 days well.
5. Prepare the homemade pickle masala by mixing together red chili powder, turmeric powder, coarsely ground fenugreek seeds, asafoetida and salt. Store in an air tight container.
6. Take about 1/2 cup of the pickled lemon in a bowl and mix 2 tablespoons of the homemade pickle masala and 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
7. Serve as a condiment with any Indian dish, as per your choice of taste or preference.
The pickle (achar) masala can be store bought or prepared at home using the ingredients listed.