- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Sugar Frosted Hot Cross Buns Recipe
|Strong plain flour||1 Pound (450 Gram)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Mixed spice||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Castor sugar||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Fresh yeast/1 level tablespoon dried yeast||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Milk and water||1⁄3 Pint, mixed (2 1/2 Deciliter, Warm)|
|Castor sugar||1 Teaspoon|
|Melted butter||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Currants||4 Ounce (100 Gram)|
|Mixed peel||2 Ounce, chopped (50 Gram)|
|Castor sugar||2 Tablespoon|
Calories 227 Calories from Fat 44
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g7.8%
Saturated Fat 2.8 g14.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 28.3 mg
Sodium 112.7 mg4.7%
Total Carbohydrates 41 g13.8%
Dietary Fiber 2.1 g8.4%
Sugars 9.5 g
Protein 4 g7.6%
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 16.9%
Calcium 3.8% Iron 2.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat oven hot to 425°F, 220°C or Gas No. 7.
2) In a warm mixing basin sieve flour, salt, spices and sugar.
3) Stir in fresh yeast with warm mixed milk and water.
4) To dissolve dried yeast dissolve a teaspoon of sugar in lukewarm milk and water and sprinkle yeast over it.
5) Let stand in warm place for about 10 minutes until frothy.
6) Add yeast mixture into the centre of dry ingredients, melted butter, currants, peel and eggs.
7) Mix to form a soft dough and place on a clean, working surface and knead until smooth.
8) Make into ball and put in the basin.
9) Keep in a polythene bag and set aside in a warm place, covered with a cloth, until the dough doubles.
10) Turn the risen dough out and flatten with hands. Knead lightly again.
11) Divide into twelve equal parts and using hands shape into buns.
12) Grease baking trays, arrange the bins over it and leave in a warm place until puffy.
13) To make crosses, either slash the buns with a knife or create professional crosses with smooth paste made from flour and water.
14) Fill into a piping bag and pipe a cross on each bun.
15) Place in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes.
16) To prepare glaze, in a saucepan measure the milk, water and sugar.
17) Stir over low heat and boil for about 2 minutes.
18) Baste the glaze on the buns immediately.
19) Serve warm.