- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Sugar Glazed Hot Cross Buns Recipe
|Active dry yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (2 Envelopes)|
|Warm water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Very Warm)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (1 Stick)|
|Evaporated milk||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs) (1 Small Can)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Currants||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Citron||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Sifted all purpose flour||4 1⁄2 Cup (72 tbs)|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Icing sugar||1 Tablespoon|
Calories 942 Calories from Fat 266
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 30 g46.5%
Saturated Fat 17.5 g87.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 178.6 mg
Sodium 574.4 mg23.9%
Total Carbohydrates 145 g48.4%
Dietary Fiber 5.7 g22.7%
Sugars 34.8 g
Protein 22 g44.9%
Vitamin A 18.7% Vitamin C 16.1%
Calcium 16.8% Iron 43.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Heat butter, evaporated milk, sugar and salt in a small saucepan until butter is melted. Cool to lukewarm. Stir into yeast mixture.
3. Beat eggs in small bowl; measure 2 tablespoons into a cup; set aside for Step 8. Stir remaining egg into yeast mixture, then stir in currants and citron.
4. Sift 2 cups of the flour, cinnamon and nutmeg over yeast mixture; beat until smooth; stir in remaining 2 1/2 cups flour to make a soft dough.
5. Turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, adding only enough flour to keep dough from sticking.
6. Place in greased bowl; brush top lightly with butter; cover with clean towel. Let rise in warm place, away from drafts, 1 hour, or until double in bulk.
7. Punch dough down; turn out onto lightly floured surface; divide in half. Cut each half into 16 equal-size pieces; shape each lightly into a smooth round. Arrange 16 buns in each of two well-greased 9x9x2-inch baking pans. Buns should be almost touching.
8. Cover with clean towel; let rise in warm place, away from drafts, 45 minutes, or until double in bulk. Cut shallow cross on top of each bun with tip of scissors. Brush tops lightly with reserved egg.
9. Bake in moderate oven (350°) 30 minutes, or until golden brown; remove from pans; cool on wire racks.
10. Drizzle sugar icing from tip of teaspoon on top of buns to make crosses.