- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Hot Cross Buns Recipe
|Warm water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (105° To 115°F)|
|Active dry yeast||2 Tablespoon (2 Packages)|
|Granulated sugar||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cardamom||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), softened (1 Stick)|
|All purpose flour||4 3⁄4 Cup (76 tbs)|
|Golden raisins||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Diced mixed candied fruit||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Confectioners sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4293 Calories from Fat 960
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 109 g168.2%
Saturated Fat 62.2 g310.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 664.9 mg
Sodium 542.7 mg22.6%
Total Carbohydrates 744 g247.9%
Dietary Fiber 29.3 g117.3%
Sugars 252.9 g
Protein 90 g180.6%
Vitamin A 66.4% Vitamin C 7.2%
Calcium 28.6% Iron 206%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Separate 1 egg. Cover egg white and reserve in refrigerator. Beat remaining egg, egg yolk, and 1/2 cup flour into flour mixture. With wooden spoon, stir in 2 1/4 cups flour to make soft dough.
3. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes, working in enough of remaining 1/2 cup flour just to keep dough from sticking.
4. Shape dough into a ball; place in greased large bowl, turning dough to grease top. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place (80° to 85°F) until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
5. Punch down dough. Knead in raisins and candied fruit. Cut dough into 25 equal pieces; cover loosely and let rest 15 minutes.
6. Grease large cookie sheet. Shape dough into balls. Arrange balls, 1/2 inch apart to allow for rising, in square shape, on prepared cookie sheet. Cover loosely and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°F. In cup, with fork, beat reserved egg white with remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt; brush over buns. Bake until golden and buns sound hollow when lightly tapped on bottom, about 20 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
8. When buns are cool, prepare icing: In small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar and water until smooth. Spoon icing into small ziptight plastic bag; snip off one corner (or use a pastry bag fitted with a very small tip) and pipe cross on each bun. Let icing set before serving.